When customer wants to keep “not so trusted” equipment
Convenience, ease of use and incredibly low cost make more and more of us using a number of IoT and IP devices in our networks. Unfortunately, we cannot really trust all this paraphernalia. They provide enough value and make us, many times, oversee the risks they pose. It is all about risk management, the risk cannot be eliminated but, if it is controlled, it is fine to enjoy the value of these technologies and save lots of money.
Most companies have printers, IP phones, IP cameras, smart TVs, WiFi APs, smart lights switches, thermostats, etc. installed. Many times those run in the same network as production systems, servers and employee computers. Any of these devices can be infected and they scan your entire network for other vulnerabilities, initiate denial of service attacks, and disrupt the company’s operation.
One effective way to improve security is by isolating networks or devices with VLANs (Virtual Local Area Networks). DrayTek routers are a popular choice for VLAN implementation due to their robust security features and easy-to-use web interface.
DrayTek VLANs (Virtual Local Area Networks) can help protect computers from infected devices by isolating them from other devices on the network. VLANs enable you to segment your network into different logical groups, with each group having its own set of security policies, access controls and bandwidth throttle rules. By separating less trusted devices from other devices on the network, VLANs can help prevent security threats.
If you are an MSP or any kind of technology provider you want to isolate your services from others you don't control. You can let your customers continue using existing “not so trusted” equipment, when they have no budget or desire to replace it.
Let's explore the benefits of VLANs and how DrayTek routers can help you implement them to enhance your network security.
What are VLANs?
A VLAN is a logical network that is created by partitioning a physical network into smaller segments. VLANs enable you to isolate traffic between devices or networks, which enhances security and provides greater flexibility in network management. By separating devices or networks into different VLANs, you can control traffic flow and prevent unauthorized access to sensitive data.
Benefits of using VLANs:
- Improved security: VLANs provide a secure way to isolate devices or networks from each other. By segmenting traffic into separate VLANs, you can prevent unauthorized access to sensitive data and protect against network attacks.
- Greater flexibility: VLANs enable you to separate different types of traffic and assign different levels of access to different users. This provides greater flexibility in network management and makes it easier to control traffic flow.
- Enhanced performance: VLANs can improve network performance by reducing network congestion and optimizing traffic flow. By separating different types of traffic into separate VLANs, you can prioritize traffic and reduce latency.
- Simplified network management: VLANs make it easier to manage a complex network. By separating devices or networks into different VLANs, you can group devices based on their function or location, which makes it easier to manage and troubleshoot the network.
Using DrayTek routers for VLAN implementation
DrayTek routers are an excellent choice for VLAN implementation due to their robust security features, support for multiple VLANs, and easy-to-use web interface. Here are some of the benefits of using DrayTek routers for VLAN implementation:
- Robust security: DrayTek routers come with advanced security features, including SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) firewall, DoS/DDoS protection, and content filtering. These features help protect your network from malicious attacks and keep your o inline activity secure.
- Multiple VLANs: DrayTek routers support multiple VLANs, which allows you to isolate different types of traffic and assign different levels of access to different users. This provides greater flexibility in network management and enhances security.
- Easy setup: DrayTek routers come with a user-friendly web interface that makes VLAN implementation a breeze. You can easily configure your router to create different VLANs, assign VLAN tags, and assign devices to different VLANs.
- VLAN tagging: DrayTek routers support VLAN tagging, which enables you to assign VLAN tags to different types of traffic. This makes it easier to prioritize traffic and reduce latency. You can use it with DrayTek switches or other brands supporting the VLAN standards.
VLANs are an essential tool for anyone who wants to improve network security and enhance network management. Manage the risk and co-exist with IoT or less trusted IP devices you find in place. By using VLANs with a DrayTek router, you can enjoy improved security, greater flexibility, enhanced performance, and simplified network management.